Assessing elements like opportunities for professional development, exceptional benefits, compensation, activities, efficient workflow and employee satisfaction , our editors have compiled a list of hospitals in alphabetical order that offer the best working environments in the United States.
BMC has been recognized as one of the top places to work in healthcare and has upheld that title with its enhanced benefits package for its employees. Benefits at BMC were built to “promote the physical, emotional and financial well being” of employees, covering health and life insurance, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance, cash employee referral bonuses, and more. Employees point to a “warm and friendly ambiance,” a “great sense of loyalty” among staff members, and co-workers “working well together to ensure the patient gets the very best care” as to why it’s such a great place to work.
More reasons to work at Bailey Medical Center:
- BMC has ties with companies like Verizon, Dell, Hertz, United Van Lines and more that allow its employees to receive discounts on purchases through these companies
- Certain BMC positions are eligible for a sign-on bonus, and
- Special incentives for returning employees allow former staff members to return with the ability to restore their retirement fund “match” contribution, as well as accrued paid time off.
Work-life balance is something that employees at Baptist Medical Center can feel good about, and it’s one of the things that this organization prides itself on providing for its employees. BMC, located in the northeastern part of The Sunshine State, promotes its unique benefits to find that balance through programs like assisted housing, flexible shifts and schedules, on-site banking, fitness centers, tuition reimbursement and free tax preparation for employees. The staff also has the opportunity to give back to the community through local programs they sponsor, like youth health screenings and mentoring, public education events and services for under-served populations in northeast Florida. With annual service awards that honor employees’ dedication and commitment to the organization, along with celebrations for healthcare holidays and other events, Baptist Medical Center gives its employees good reason to be happy at work.
More reasons to work at Baptist Medical Center:
- Free parking, shuttle service to the medical facility and discount tickets for public transportation systems is available for all staff
- Employees that are first-time homebuyers can get up to $5,000 and homebuyers education courses, and
- Annual service awards are presented to employees for every five years of service.
The leadership and management team at Baptist Health South Florida calls this hospital “the best place to be your best,”and is committed to fostering teamwork to promote patient-centered care. The corporate culture at this facility is one of “quality, excellence and service” which encourages all employees to achieve their best. With a Career Services center that offers confidential consultations, self-assessment programs, resume writing and job interview advice, as well as tuition reimbursement and scholarship opportunities, employees have great tools at hand to grow professionally. Employees call their experience “a great learning and growing experience” with “high ethical standards.”
More reasons to work at Baptist Health South Florida:
- Baptist Health University offers continuing education courses — over 1,000 online courses and 500 classroom courses are offered to date
- The “Promote from Within” policy and the “Grow our Own” initiative improve staff retention, and
- The Baptist Health Green Team runs an initiative called “Greening our Future” to identify areas in which BH can improve the environment.
This academic healthcare system has been recognized as one of the “Top Workplaces in 2011” by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and one of Atlanta’s Healthiest Employers by the Atlanta Business Chronicle. The hospital offers free wellness services and discounts to area fitness facilities, as well as discounts for childcare and eldercare services. Employees are also eligible for substantial tuition reimbursement through the Employer Education Plan, allowing for up to 18 course credits to be taken per calendar year, and are encouraged to embark on their own research projects for personal and professional development. Acceptance of different cultures and diversity is also an important component of the work environment and quality of care for their patients. In fact, one employee says that Emory Healthcare is “like a little United Nations. You see people here from all walks of life. It really creates an atmosphere of diversity.”
More reasons to work at Emory University Hospital:
- The retirement savings plan includes a 2% employer contribution, even if employees are not contributing to the fund on their own
- The special New Grad Nursing program helps students transition into full-time professionals through placement in one of three different residency programs, and
- Emory Healthcare currently employs 286 Veterans and is committed to supporting and employing those who have been a member of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Aside from its strong reputation as a leader in healthcare, employees of this hospital system are offered a wide range of benefits and “unlimited opportunities for personal and professional growth”. JHH is committed to their employees’ educational growth, and offer learning opportunities through tuition assistance, job training programs, team development classes, and skills enhancement programs. Employees point to some of the many outstanding professional perks at JHH, such as “good benefits package, flexible schedule, plenty of resources and good job security.” New staff members at Johns Hopkins also view the relationship with senior level employees as one of the best ways they learn on the job: “Mentorship is wonderful; my mentor takes time to explain to me how I should do a better job and gives me great constructive criticism.”
More reasons to work at Johns Hopkins Hospital:
- Relocation assistance is available to qualified RNs moving to Baltimore
- Healthy@Hopkins Rewards Program offers incentives for those enrolled to reach optimum health — up to $520/year for full-time employees, and
- Project REACH/Community Education Programs gives staff the opportunity to work with area youth, giving them access and exposure to careers in healthcare, as well as training opportunities to promote post-secondary education and employment.